Winter is our favorite season! After all, it’s all about layering clothes, cuddling up in a warm bed, and wrapping your palms around a steaming mug of hot chocolate. But speaking of winter, with all its wonderful things, there is one problem that can make you hate the season. Yes, you guessed it right: dry skin! Dry skin is common during the cold winter months and can make your skin feel itchy, rough and flaky. So if you already notice that your face, hands or body are dry, don’t worry and try these home remedies for dry skin.
Health Shots spoke to beauty industry veteran Dr. Blossom Kochhar, Chairman of Blossom Kochhar Group of Companies, to discover home remedies to cure dry sins.
5 home remedies to get rid of dry skin
1. Milk lotion
The lactic acid content of the milk helps exfoliate dead skin cells and retain moisture, while glycerin adds a hydrating touch to the mixture. This is how you prepare it:
- To prepare milk lotion, heat a cup of milk until lukewarm.
- Add 1 teaspoon glycerin, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon borax to the milk.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly until all ingredients are dissolved.
- Let it sit for an hour to cool.
- Once it has cooled, gently apply this milk lotion to the dry areas of your skin, including your face.
- After a while, wash it off with lukewarm water.
2. Cleaning agent
This natural cleanser helps you gently cleanse your skin without stripping its natural oils, leaving your skin supple and radiant. This is how you prepare it:
- For a refreshing cleansing experience that leaves your skin supple and radiant, make a homemade cleanser.
- Place a container on gas and add 12 tablespoons of white Vaseline, 4 tablespoons of baby oil and 1 tablespoon of beeswax.
- Let all ingredients melt together.
- When you’re done, take it off the gas and add a few drops of rose essence to the mixture for a wonderful scent.
- Place the mixture in a jar and use it to clean your face.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge to remove the cleaning agent.
3. Hydrating moisturizer
Hydration is the key to combating dry skin. The natural anti-inflammatory properties of rosewater, combined with the moisturizing effects of glycerin, make this homemade moisturizer a fantastic addition to your skincare routine. This is how you prepare it:
- Mix ¾ cup of rose water with ¼ cup of glycerin, 1 teaspoon of vinegar and ¼ teaspoon of honey.
- Store this mixture in a bottle and use it regularly after cleansing.
- Apply it to your skin, concentrating on the dry areas, to keep your skin hydrated and refreshed.
4. Banana face mask
Consider a rejuvenating banana face mask to deeply nourish your skin. Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamins that help replenish your skin, while honey and yogurt provide moisture and gentle exfoliation. This is how you prepare it:
- Mash a ripe banana and mix it with a mixture of honey and yogurt.
- This creates a moisturizing and nourishing paste that you can apply to your face.
- Let the mask sit for about 20 minutes, or until it dries. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- This nourishing mask should be used at least once a week to maintain well-hydrated and rejuvenated skin.
5. Night cream
For deep and long-lasting hydration, prepare a night cream. This overnight treatment ensures that your skin receives long-lasting moisture while you sleep. This is how you prepare it:
Select topics you are interested in and let us customize your feed.
- Mix a tablespoon of milk cream with a few drops of glycerin and two drops of rose water.
- Mix these ingredients thoroughly and apply the cream to your entire face, neck and hands before going to bed.
- Leave the cream on overnight and rinse your skin in the morning with lukewarm water and then with a dash of cold water.
Also read: Beauty Benefits of Avocado Oil: A natural remedy for dry skin and hair
Some more tips to keep in mind to get rid of dry skin
- Do not use astringents or toners that contain alcohol.
- Avoid exposure to the sun, strong winds and hot baths.
- Do not use medicated soap. Use creamy and gentle beauty soaps or facial cleansers.
- Always wash your face with cold water and not hot water, which will dry out your skin even more.
Try these remedies and remember these tips to keep your dry skin soft and nourished!