Any deviation from the natural color of the lips, which is usually pink, is called discolored lips. The lips may become darker or paler than your natural lip color. Some people may have naturally dark lips due to genetic factors. Others may not have pink lips because of bad habits, including smoking. To get pink lips, you can try home remedies for discolored lips.
What causes discolored lips?
There are a number of reasons why you might get discolored lips, says cosmetologist and skin expert Dr. Jatin Mittal.
• Lack of proper hydration can make lips look dry, cracked and pale.
• The chemicals in tobacco can cause lips to darken over time.
• Excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun can cause pigmentation changes, causing the lips to darken.
• Anemia, a condition characterized by a lack of red blood cells or hemoglobin, can lead to pallor of the lips.
• Cyanosis, which occurs when there is insufficient oxygen in the blood, giving the lips a bluish tint.
• Some allergic reactions to certain foods, medications, or environmental factors can cause redness, swelling, or changes in lip color.
• Fungal or bacterial infections, such as candidiasis, can cause changes in the color and texture of the lips.
• Liver or kidney problems can sometimes manifest as changes in lip color.
Natural ways to remove discolored lips
Although there is limited scientific evidence supporting the effectiveness of natural ingredients in treating discolored lips, some people may find these remedies helpful.
1. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid, which can help lighten dark lips, says the expert. Apply fresh lemon juice to your lips, leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
2. Rose water
Rose water is known for its moisturizing and soothing properties. Apply rose water on your lips with a cotton ball and rinse it off after a few minutes.
Honey is known as a natural humectant and helps retain moisture. Apply honey to your lips and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Select topics you are interested in and let us customize your feed.
4. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is moisturizing and can help improve lip texture. Apply a small amount of coconut oil to your lips and leave it there.
Cucumber has soothing and moisturizing properties, so apply cucumber juice or thin slices of cucumber to your lips and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera has healing and moisturizing properties. Apply pure aloe vera gel on your lips and rinse it off after 15 to 20 minutes.
Beetroot contains natural pigments that can give a subtle tint to the lips. Mix beet juice with coconut oil to create a natural lip balm and apply to your lips as needed.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, says Dr. Mittal. Mix turmeric powder with honey to form a paste. Apply it to your lips, leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
Mint has a refreshing and cooling effect and you can use it by crushing mint leaves. Apply the juice or leaves to your lips and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
10. Almond oil
Almond oil is rich in vitamins and can help moisturize and nourish the lips. Apply a small amount of almond oil to your lips and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off. You can also mix the oil with honey for additional benefits.
The speed at which you can see results when using these natural remedies for discolored lips can vary greatly. Individual responses depend on factors such as the cause of the discoloration, the severity of the condition and how consistently and correctly the remedies are applied. Also, do a patch test to make sure you don’t experience any side effects before using any of these treatments.
If you do not notice the desired changes or if the discoloration persists, consult a doctor.