Do you often have trouble getting out of bed for a morning workout? Shake off the laziness with some great yoga poses for fat loss. Although it won’t give you instant results, yoga does more than give you a fit body. It is a stress reducer and mood enhancer and helps curb emotional eating. These physical and mental benefits of yoga combine to promote calorie burning and fat loss!
A study published in the journal Obesity suggests that carrying extra body weight is linked to a number of chronic medical conditions. Fortunately, reducing weight has been shown to reduce the chance of developing many of these diseases, and yoga, along with other physical activities, can aid weight loss. Health Shots reached out to yoga and spiritual leader Himalayan Siddhaa Akshar to discover the best yoga poses for fat loss.
9 yoga poses for fat loss
1. Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
Tadasana activates multiple muscle groups and promotes overall body fat loss and calorie burning. To perform this pose:
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart, ensuring even weight distribution on both feet.
- Engage your leg muscles and gently lift your kneecaps toward your hips.
- Inhale and raise your arms above your head with your palms facing each other.
- Maintain softness in your knees.
2. Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho mukha svanasana)
This pose activates the core, strengthens the arms and legs and improves circulation, promoting fat burning. To perform this pose:
- Start on your hands and knees, wrists under shoulders, knees under hips.
- Lift your hips toward the ceiling and straighten your legs.
- Press your palms into the mat, fingers spread wide.
- Hold your head between your arms and your heels, with your heels reaching toward the floor.
3. Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II)
This yoga challenges the lower body, especially the thighs and glutes, improving muscle tone and metabolism. To perform this pose:
- Starting in a standing position, step one foot back and rotate it 90 degrees.
- Bend the front knee and hold it above the ankle.
- Extend your arms parallel to the floor, palms facing down.
- Look over the front hand and keep your shoulders relaxed.
Also read: 5 exercises to stimulate fat loss and muscle growth at the same time
4. Plank Pose (Santolasana)
A full-body workout, the plank simultaneously activates the core, arms and legs, stimulating muscle growth and boosting metabolism for efficient fat burning. To perform this pose:
- Lie face down, elbows under shoulders, forearms flat.
- Lift the toes and tighten the abdominal muscles to create a straight line from head to toe.
5. Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
This pose activates the core and leg muscles, promotes stability and burns calories. To perform this pose:
- Stand up straight, feet hip-width apart.
- Shift the weight to the left foot and place the right foot on the left thigh with the toes pointing down.
- Bring your hands to prayer or extend them above your head.
- Focus on a fixed point for balance. Hold and then switch sides.
6. Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
Utkatasana targets the lower body, especially the thighs and glutes, contributing to muscle development and increasing heart rate for increased fat oxidation. To perform this pose:
- Stand with your feet together, bend your knees and lower your hips as if you were sitting in a chair.
- Keep your chest up and your arms reaching above your head.
- Engage your core and sink into the pose, with thighs parallel to the floor.
7. Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
Bridge pose helps strengthen the posterior chain, boost metabolism and facilitate fat loss. To perform this pose:
- Lie on your back, bend your knees and place your feet hip-width apart.
- Press down on your feet and lift your hips toward the ceiling.
- Tuck your fingers under your backpack and roll your shoulders under you.
8. Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
This sitting position stretches the spine and engages the core, promoting flexibility and aiding digestion, and indirectly supporting weight management. To perform this pose:
- Sit with your legs stretched straight out in front of you.
- Hinge at the hips and fold forward to reach the toes or ankles.
9. Child’s Pose (Balasana)
Child’s Pose promotes relaxation and reduces stress. Stress reduction is linked to improved hormonal balance, potentially mitigating factors that contribute to weight gain. To perform this pose:
- Starting on your hands and knees, exhale, lean back on your heels, extend your arms forward onto the mat and lower your chest toward the floor.
- Rest your forehead on the mat, lengthen your spine and relax.
- Take a deep breath and feel a gentle stretch in the back, hips and thighs. Hold the tension and release it.
Ladies, remember that consistency is key! So make sure you perform these yoga poses regularly to see results.